November 20, 2011

MT. MUDEUNG

I really wanted to make it up Mt. Mudeung before the (dreaded, awful, odious) winter begins deterring me from leaving my house (or bed) and venturing into nature. The hike was glorious. At the base of the mountain, the leaves still occupy their trees, and the colors were beautiful.

With a few scenic detours and a pit stop for lunch, the hike took us about 4.5 hours. It's about 5.5 km to the highest summit of 1187 meters, so we trekked about 11km (6.8 miles). FIGHTING!

Right at the beginning of the hike, you stumble upon Hak-dong Jeungshim Temple.



And then Jusangjeollidae (pillar-shaped joint cliff)



AND eventually, the tallest summit:

And of course, I can't even keep my eyes open to seal the proof that I've made it to the top.





The same team spirit that applies to running applies to hiking. And the same kindness that I feel every day in Korea is not lost on the side of a mountain: an average of 25384 people said "HELLO! NICE TO MEET YOU!" "HAVE A NICE DAY!" "FIGHTING!"

It's impossible to ignore that Koreans are very serious about their hiking gear. VERY SERIOUS. Hiking pants, jackets, poles, gloves, boots, hats and backpacks for the whole family! And this was true in the summer as well, so weather is not an adequate explanation.




Psh. And don't think I'm letting you off my blog without mentioning food. Chelin HOOKED IT UP. We had a feast of chomchi kimbap, baguette, brie, apple and pringles. About half way through this yumminess, a nice man brought us two clementines. NICEST PEOPLE EVER, ALERT. And this brie, it had melted in her pack on the way up. And you have NO IDEA how good it tasted.

I am so easy to please.




If you can ignore my heaving breathing, incessant sniffling and shaking hands, here's a video from the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment