December 6, 2011

SEOUL. PART ONE.



I escaped to Seoul in the middle of the night. To run? Yes. But SO MUCH happened.

We arrived at 1 in the morning and did what any sensible group of people would do the night before a race: we had some beers and talked until six in the morning.

In the morning we took the subway to the site of the 7th People's Health Marathon. The weather called for rain, but the sun persisted and it turned out to be quite a nice December afternoon. I was still unsure whether I was going to try and run the 10k. (I have been injured for the past month.) But when I arrived, I discovered that the group had accidentally signed me up for the 5k and I took it as fate. It was a pretty run; it took place along the Han River. I finished the race in pain, and I'll begrudgingly head to the doctor this week. INJURIES ARE DUMB.







Post race we met up with some friends (who also let us stay in their apartment! THANKS!) and ate some Mexican food at Dos Tacos. Vegetable Burrito with Avocado? Yes. Please. We had lots of plans for the evening, but the main goal was to head to Hongdae for a show and HIV benefit event called "Rubber Soul." (pun intended) It's hard to believe that in a city the size of Seoul that the subway actually stops. A few miles away, the subway stopped, the lights turned off, and everyone existed the train. INCONVENIENT. We spent about 45 minutes looking for a taxi, were a bit disgruntled, but eventually arrived at said destination. We met up with some fellow Gwangju-ites, and hit up a Hongdae favorite: booze in a bag.




We carried this gem with us to the show, and... MORE LATER.

No comments:

Post a Comment