May 9, 2012

청산도

Located on the southern coast of South Korea, Cheongsando is just a 45 minute ferry from the port city of Wando. This island was Asia's first Cittaslow (or slow city), a cultural movement that started in Italy that aims to embrace, support and breath life into small towns through the concept of a slow life.

There are walking paths around the entire island. From what I gathered, it's a little over 42 kilometers from start to finish. Taxis and hitchhiking are also available. I found this island enchanting, although not somewhere I'd stay for more than a day. In the month of April there is a Walking Festival that I'm sure brings tourists to the island, but I didn't see another foreigner besides my lovely friend Rachel during my stay.

As has always proved true on my outings, I was humbled by Korean hospitality. Oranges, bananas, rice, maps, travel information, makgeoli, waffles and other Korean sweets were offered free of charge from generous, curious onlookers.






No comments:

Post a Comment