October 20, 2011

TOUCHE

Three days a week I teach a private lesson with an exceptionally bright 10 year old boy who pretty much speaks fluent English. Every day I assign him seven vocabulary words that have included luminous, magnificent and exacerbate.

Today I made him read me a paragraph about the difference between facts and opinions and after he was finished he told me that "even a baby knows the difference between facts and opinions." DUH, TEACHER.

This morning he had his "Big Test" at school, a test that I'm assuming is very weighted by the chorus of, "UHHH. TEACHER! BIG TEST TOMORROW. MANY HOMEWORKS! MY MOM! UGH! TEACHER!" that I hear from my other kids. He informed me that he was tired today because he stayed up until 1am last night studying.. and then was up at 5am to study some more. YES. THAT'S RIGHT.

"Well, how do you think you did?"
"I don't know."
"I bet you did pretty well. You're really smart."
"I don't know. We'll see."
"You don't believe me? I think you work hard, study hard and that you're really smart."
"... teacher, is that a fact or an opinion?"

And then he ran out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment