October 9, 2011

WEEK END

One of the coolest things about Gwangju is that it's geography contradicts itself. One moment you're in the city and the next you're in the mountains.
Mt. Mudeung is a 15 minute bus ride from downtown and in fact, I heard a rumor today that it used to hold the record for being the tallest mountain such a short distance from a city of over 1 million people. I have not found the information to confirm this claim, but regardless, it is unusually close to the city.

With it's tallest peak at 1,187 meters (3,894 feet), climbing to the top is a multi-hour adventure and my co-hiker and I did not get started until about four the in the afternoon. We hiked one of the shorter trails and stopped when we got to a gargoyle spouting fresh mountain water from it's mouth. We filled up our water bottles, ate some almonds, and headed back down.

This morning I found myself out the door by 7:30 to catch a bus to the Gwangju World Cup Stadium to run my first organized 5k. I have been running pretty regularly with the Gwangju Running Club, a group of mostly foreigners and a few Korean's who meet Sunday afternoons to run, eat and be merry. The race this morning supported breast cancer and like in The States, everyone was dressed in pink. Following, I went downtown to do a bit of shopping and watch the South Africa versus Australia rugby game. Rugby is INTENSE, man.

OH, & ON FRIDAY I GOT MY FIRST PAYCHECK SINCE MAY. MOMMA NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES. (OR THE ABSOLUTE PERFECT SWEATER DRESS. DONE!)




No comments:

Post a Comment