November 2, 2012

1 DAY - MOUNTAINS, MAKGEOLI AND MERRIMENT

I suppose these three words adequately sum up this adventure, which is convenient because they are are so easily intertwined.

Katie pondered allowed last week,

"I'm just wondering where makgeoli is going to show up on your 30 days."

I love this beverage. I became quite the queen of rice wine. It's wonderful - light, refreshing, sweet, smooth and oh, so cheap. One bottle is around $1.20.

Makgeoli is merry. The bubbles justify it for a special occasion. It is also the beverage of choice for hikers. At the peaks of mountains, you'll see Korean's downing this stuff in a celebratory manor.

Most people drink it straight, but since I became such a fan, I created unique ways to enjoy. I mix it with orange juice or cider. Most frequently, I enjoyed it mixed with drinkable yogurt. I tell pretty much everyone I meet about this combination and have yet to meet someone who doesn't jump on the train.




And rocks. MOUNTAINS. They're vast, yet humble in this country.









 Oh my. MOUNTAINS.

And the third: merriment -
the convenience and promotion of a good time. Always. Always. I have had so much good, raw fun.

My words are a little gone right now but as I prepare to go, my heart is calm. Mostly I'm looking forward to a good, long sleep.

Here I go. Five hours to the bus. NYC bound.

KOREA, THANK YOU.


No comments:

Post a Comment