October 24, 2012

10 DAYS- GIRAFFE

You can't take life too seriously out here or you'll just end up crying a lot.

You're bound to walk into school feebly masking a big fat zit and some kid is going to ask, "TEACHER, WHAT'S ON YOUR FACE?"

Kids just don't really care.

If you have dark circles, they are going to point them out. If you're having a bad hair day, watch out. A few months ago I walked into a class full of ten year old's and one exclaimed, "Teacher. hair. level down." Which in his terms means that my hair was a total fail.

I'm also the "butt" of a pretty long standing joke among adults in my life. In April I went camping with a group of seven or so the night before we were meant to run a 10k. Around one in the morning, I decided to do what any smart person would do and crawl to bed. My friends were not impressed. They began making jokes around the campfire trying to pry me back out, but I wasn't having it.

Finally, just as things had settled down and they'd found another topic of conversation, my friend Brad exclaims,

"Who would win in a being tall contest, Mara or a giraffe?"

I wish this was a funnier story to tell, but for some reason it always comes out a bit bland. However, I got out of the tent I was laughing so hard.

A few months later we were at the World's Fair in Yeosu. In the African pavilion was a giraffe statue. Casually, Katie beckoned me,

"Hey Mara. Go stand next to that giraffe."


I did so without even thinking.

Looks like I lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment