October 17, 2012

17 DAYS - GAMJATANG (감자탕)

After bean balls , my next deathbed request is gamjatang. Gamja means potato, but this is actually pork bone soup.

The vertebrae are separated into pieces with the meat still attached and then heated with vegetables in a hot pot. The pork spine can be brought into a smaller bowl in front of you, and chopsticks or tongs can be used to remove the meat. With enough staring, it might be possible to will the meat off - It's that tender.

A special bin is placed on the table for disposing the inedible bits.  After that, you pour a few ladles of vegetables and broth atop the meat and EAT.

What's absolutely dangerous about this meal is that many gamjatang restaurants are open 24/7.

Since we've already discussed my deathbed requests, I might as well throw this out there:
In my next life I'd like to have a stomach and metabolism system equipped to devour one of these alone.

Here's to gamjatang -
For your hearty, spicy, delectable taste.
And for answering my late night calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment