October 7, 2012

27 DAYS - RUNNING

I'd never run a timed race in my life, but this year I ran six. The last was today.

Three in Gwangju.

One on Seoul.
One in Boseong.
One in Damyang.

That's not to say I'm awesome, that's to say race culture in Korea is awesome. There's not very much I like about running, but organized running events in Korea are fantastic.

The fun starts right from the beginning. Before the races begin there's a group stretch. It is often led by a group of k-pop-type female "cheerleaders" while cheeky music plays in the background. Then the worst part of the day happens. You're actually meant to run. But the fun continues as soon as you cross the finish line.

Everyone cheers for you. Then you go pick up your snack bag. After you've caught your breath and found your friends, everyone gets in line for a winning combination: kimchi, tofu and makgeoli. I salivate.

I promise this is the last time I'll say this, but Korean people LOVE when you enjoy their culture.  They are thrilled to see you enjoying kimchi. They give you extra scoops and exclaim, "AH. KIMCHI. KOREA'S FOOD. DELICIOUS!"

And I laugh enthusiastically as if I've never had the stuff. Yes. Pile it on. I'll laugh again if you'll give me more.

Pow-wows on the ground commence in the race vicinity. People get friendly. Food gets shared. Laughs get made. And inevitably the happiness continues elsewhere. I never shower. I just go downtown, lay in the park, get dinner, get lazy and have a wonderful afternoon.



GWANGJU PEACE/UNIFICATION RUN // OCTOBER 2012

DAMYANG 10k // NOVEMBER 2011


Here's to running -
for generating incessant boredom and pain.

And here's to race culture in Korea -
for somehow making that all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment