October 5, 2012

29 DAYS - CAMPING (AND KATIE)

Hey Mara. Do you like camping? Yes.
Do you like the beach? Yes.
Do you want to go camping on the beach tomorrow? Yes.
Okay. Meet me at the bus terminal at 7am.

This is Katie and I's first legit conversation. We were in the middle of a night hike.

That Wando camping trip determined one of my staple group of friends. Camping has that quality in the bag - It's great at solidifying friendships. There's no use traveling out to the middle of nowhere to sit around a fire with people you don't like.

Katie has been an irreplaceable gem in my Korean experience. She has been a sparkle to my sometimes introspected, pensive persona. She balances me and has gotten me straight out of bed in the dead of winter to come frolic downtown. She's reminded me that friends are sometimes a lot more fun than solitary endeavors. 

We've ran, swam, hiked, cried, ate, danced, sang, laughed, camped and traveled.
 
And she makes some damn good soups.

Korea makes camping quite feasible. Along the beach are raised, covered platforms that make pitching a tent easy. At the base of mountains, there's often designated space and running water. As far as I encountered, tent sleeping is allowed most everywhere. Nothing accompanies easy better than free.

So, here's to Katie -
For being downright hilarious, fun and adventurous; for being beautiful and batty.

And here's to camping -
For always being a good time. Always.


No comments:

Post a Comment