October 6, 2012

28 DAYS - THE BUS




Bus time started as a way to window shop my city. I'd jot down establishments that caught my eye.

Organic coffee shop across from Black Yak.
Tea house next to Nepa.
Reservoir.
Art Museum in Unam-dong.
Crazy statue in park.


My phone is full of these lists.

Eventually it became a way to practice reading Korean. I'd stare out the window and sound out syllables. Rarely could I attach meaning, but periodically I'd be successful.

TIE EE OH. Tire.
MAR TUH. Mart.
PIJJA. Pizza.

Now I occasionally use the bus for planning, editing photos or catching up on email, but mostly I just turn on my iPod and zone out.

Bus time is special. I am most content on my way to somewhere. I feel the perfect mixture of excitement and safety. I have time to let my mind wander. I'm accompanied by others, but inevitably alone.

Here's to the bus -
Tune in. Tune out. Sometimes I'm riding to the next neighborhood. Sometimes I'm traveling six hours north. Either way, I consider the bus a happy place, a place that's provided calm inspiration while I'm stuck between here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment